Suspect named in NYC parents' car crash deaths

A livery car carrying a young expectant couple to the hospital was struck by a BMW traveling about 60 mph in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, Saturday, March 2, 2013.

NEW YORK Police have identified a suspect in the hit-and-run car crash deaths of a pregnant woman and her husband, who were killed Sunday on their way to the hospital.

The baby boy was delivered by cesarean section, but died early Monday.

Police released a photo of Julio Acevedo, 44, wanted in the hit-and-run deaths of Nachman and Raizy Glauber.

Police say the driver of a speeding BMW slammed into the car carrying the couple at a Williamsburg intersection early Sunday. The pregnant woman wasn't feeling well and was headed to a hospital.

NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said police are looking for 44-year-old Julio Acevedo, who had a DWI arrest in February.

The newborn boy, delivered after the crash, died early Monday, according to Isaac Abraham, who serves as a spokesman for the family's Orthodox Jewish community.

"We in the community are demanding that the prosecutor charge the driver of BMW that caused the death of this couple and infant ... with triple homicide," Abraham said in a statement. "This coward left the scene of the accident, not even bothering to check on the people of the other car."

Nachman and Raizy Glauber, both 21, were looking forward to welcoming their first child into their tight-knit community of Orthodox Jews. They were killed in the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn as they headed to a hospital in a livery car. The cause of the crash remained under investigation Monday. The driver of the BMW was expected at least to face charges of leaving the scene of an accident.

Police initially believed the BMW driver had a passenger, but now say he was alone in the vehicle, which was traveling more than 60 mph.

The livery car was at a stop sign, but it was unclear if it had stopped, police said.

The engine of the livery car ended up in the backseat, where Raizy Glauber, who was seven months pregnant, was sitting before she was ejected, Abraham said. Her body landed under a parked tractor-trailer, said witnesses who raced to the scene after the crash. Nachman Glauber was pinned in the car, and emergency workers had to cut off the roof to get him out, witnesses said.

The Glaubers both were pronounced dead at hospitals, and the medical examiner said they died of blunt-force trauma.

Doctors had delivered the baby by cesarean section. Neighbors and friends said the boy weighed only about 4 pounds.

Ellen Borakove, spokeswoman for the city medical examiner's office, said the baby's death was caused by extreme prematurity due to maternal blunt force injuries.