Updated Jun 27, 2008 9:45 AM EDT
I caught a great post the other day from Shilpan Patel
, who contends that brain maintenance is a must if you want to keep your gray matter in shape. Luckily, cranium care needn't be too taxing; he offers 14 simple ways to supercharge your brain
- Eat almonds and drink apple juice to improve memory.
- Sleep well and reduce stress (practice yoga or meditation) to maximize brainpower.
- Fast for a day to detox your body and brain.
- Do mental exercises like crossword puzzles -- or learn a new language -- to keep your mind sharp and agile.
- Have sex. ("Come on, honey, it'll make us smarter!")
- Reduce your sugar intake, eat whole wheat, and take Vitamin B-complex to avoid memory loss, strengthen cognitive function, and improve memory power.
Nothing on his list requires surgery, an appointment with a shrink, or a Ph.D. Give some of his ideas a try -- and then let me know how much stronger your brain has become. Me, I'm off to eat an almond-butter-and-whole-wheat sandwich and practice my sun salutations while learning Italian. See you at the Mensa meeting.
(image by LoreleiRanveig via Flickr, CC 2.0)
© 2008 CBS Interactive Inc.. All Rights Reserved.