Last Updated Feb 9, 2009 5:56 PM EST
- Always pack your own parachute
- Never leave the boa constrictor free to wander around when your kids are home alone
- Always have a current and dependable backup of your computer data
- Google Docs/Zoho. Storing documents using Web app a like Google Docs is akin to a free backup service.
- USB. Yes, this is a good one. Personally, I keep a 2GB memory key permanently inserted in my computer. Apps that want to do recurring backups (like Quicken) write their data there, and I use the USB key for all the mission critical backups that I'd need if my computer unexpectedly burst into flames.
- CD/DVD. A good choice for archiving photos
- Online storage. Another good one: Rick has already mentioned Mozy, a cheap and dependable online backup solution.
- External hard drive. They're so big and cheap you can afford to own several and back up your data to different drives on alternating days for virtually bulletproof coverage.