Last Updated Oct 1, 2009 10:41 PM EDT
Here's a quick way to assess whether you're ready to close. Before asking for the business, ask yourself the following six questions (YES or NO).
- Have you already helped the customer in some way?
- Does the customer think your offering is unique?
- Does the customer consider you a trusted authority?
- Would buying support the customer's stated self-image?
- Does the customer know peers who've bought from you?
- Does the customer like you personally?
For each "YES" answer, give yourself 1 point, except for #6, where the "YES" is worth 2 points.
- You scored 6-7. You are ready to close. Ask for the business.
- You scored 4-5. You're not done selling yet. You need to work harder to position yourself and your offering.
- You scored 0-3. If you're even thinking about closing, you're being foolish. Hopefully, you're at the beginning of the sales cycle. If you're at the end of the sales cycle, you probably aren't going to get the business if you attempt to close. Best to move on.