At Hinoki & the Bird in Los Angeles, chef Brandon Kida's lobster roll takes on flavors from the Far East, including Thai curry spice.
"The basil flowers are meant to give an accent to the curry," Kida said.
Lobster roll from Chef Brandon Kida
(Home recipe abbreviation)
1.5 lb. whole lobster (hard shell)
¼ tsp. green curry paste
1 Tbsp. Japanese mayo (American will work as well)
Sea salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Lemon juice to taste
1 tsp. chopped chives
- Steam lobster for 11 min.
- Remove from steamer and place in ice bath.
- Once cooled, remove meat from shell.
- Dice meat into 1.4" pieces
- In large bowl add all ingredients
- Season to taste.
Soft brioche bun
- Paint the bun with melted butter using brush.
- Warm until soft and warm.
- Spoon lobster mix into roll.
- Garnish with sea salt and basil flowers.
Don't miss Mo Rocca's feature on the ubiquitous summer treat, the Lobster Roll, on "Sunday Morning" July 30!
For more info: