- Based on the iTunes' stores list of top growing downloads, consumers see the iPad much more as a gaming and productivity tool than a way to consume magazines.
- Pricing for magazine apps is too high for many customers to stomach. Consumers seem keenly aware of how little they pay per issue if they subscribe to a print version of the magazine, and don't want to pay prices (which are usually per issue and not per app) that are the same as, or exceed, the newsstand price.
- No. 82: Popular Mechanics, $1.99 per issue.
"The price is perfect. Everyone else is way to [sic] high, but this is worth the $1.99."
- No. 113: TIME Magazine, $4.99 per issue -- for a weekly.
"Only $260 a year to get content freely available on the Web or delivered to your door in print for a fifth of that. Idiots." (Note: TIME has recently moved to put much of its print edition behind a firewall.)
- No. 116: Wired, $3.99 per issue.
"As much as I like Wired $3.99 is too expensive. Sure it's a 20% discount off the newsstand price, but it's almost 500 percent more than the annual subscription rate."
- No. 162: GQ, $2.99 per issue.
"Love the application, but at $2.99 it's not cost effective when compared to annual cost of the paper version."
- No. 184: Popular Science, $4.99 per issue.
"I'm not sure what the incentive is to buy a $60/year paperless version when I can get a two-year subscription the normal way via snail mail for $18."
- No. 192: Sports Illustrated, $4.99 per issue -- for a weekly.
"Why should I pay almost 10x my yearly print subscription for the digital version."
- No. 193: Maxim, $2.99 for the app; then $2.99 per issue.
"Charges you to get the app so they can charge you to get the magizines [sic]. Absolutely terrible."
- Flipboard: More Proof That Magazines Are the iPad's Killer App
- iPad Paid Media Apps: Still Not Hot, But Maybe That's Good
- iPad/Paid Media Love Affair? Not At These Prices
- Apple's iPad a Print Savior? Three Reasons Why It's Not Even Close
- Sports Illustrated's Digital Magazine: A Beautiful Package That Few Will Buy
- Major Magazine Publisher Storefront Only So Much Vaporware