Mylan may have made a loss of $181 million last year following a goodwill writedown of $385 million, but its top execs made out like bandits. They shared $22 million in total compensation in 2008, compared to $15.2 million in 2007, according to a proxy filing with the SEC. That was a combined 41 percent pay raise (not including EMEA president Didier Barret, who wasn't on the 2007 "named executives" list).
In addition to each Named Executive Officer's use of the Company-owned aircraft for business travel, Mr. Coury is also entitled to personal use of Company aircraft for vacations and other personal purposes in light of heightened security concerns, and he receives a gross-up of income taxes associated with his personal use of the aircraft. At Mr. Coury's discretion, Mr. Borkowski and Ms. Bresch from time to time may also be afforded personal use of the corporate aircraft.(Note that this idea that CEOs are somehow forced to use private jets and helicopters also came out at Wyeth and Bristol-Myers Squibb.) Here's the summary:
- Name, 2008 pay, 2007 pay
- CEO Robert J. Coury, $12.5 million, $10.3 million
- CFO Edward J. Borkowski, $3.2 million, $1.5 million
- COO Heather Bresch, $2.9 million, $1.7 million
- Head of global tech Rajiv Malik, $2.9 million, $1.7 million
- EMEA president Didier Barret, $2.2 million, NA Numbers are rounded, includes stocks and options whose value changes over time.
- See previous BNET stories on pharma executive compensation:
- Valeant Executive Pay Doubles to $19.7 Million Despite Quadrupling of Company's Losses
- Shire CEO Compensation Report Successfully Conceals CEO Compensation
- BMS Execs Get Cash Not to Ride Private Jets; 61% Pay Raise to $59 Million
- Allergan CEO Pyott Received Pay Raise to $11.9 Million
- Abbott CEO White Takes a Pay Cut
- Gilead Executive Pay: Modest Raises for Outstanding Performance
- Gilead Deal Gives CV Therapeutics CEO $8.4 Million Payday Despite Lack of Profits
- Pfizer's Kindler Got $4.2 Million Pay Raise, Despite What Business Press Says
- Pfizer Execs' Golden Parachute Is Actually a Pay Cut
- Genentech's Levinson May Have No Change-of-Control Agreement in Roche Deal
- Amgen CEO Sharer: Options? No Thanks. I'll Just Take the Cash.
- Schering CEO Hassan Has $59 Million Buyout Agreement in Merck Merger
- Merck Executive Pay: $36 million, Use of Private Jet, Cash Bonuses Despite Failures
- Eli Lilly Execs Receive $48 Million in Pay; Plus Chairman Taurel Adds $40 Million Nest Egg
- Novo Nordisk Executive Compensation: A Picture of Modesty (Except for the Car Expenses)
- As Layoffs Begin, Wyeth Execs Get $75 Million Severance Package
- How Pharma's CEO Pay Packages Measure Up
for more features.