Watch CBSN Live

Mom of 4 slain kids to killer husband: "Justice will come when you burn in hell"

DEARBORN HEIGHTS, Mich.-- An ex-convict in Michigan will serve up to 100 years in prison for the slayings of his two young children and two teen stepchildren at their Dearborn Heights home.

Gregory Green, 50, was sentenced in Wayne County Circuit Court Wednesday to 45 to 100 years in prison for the murders, plus 6 to 10 years for additional charges, to be served consecutively.

Gregory Green appearing in a Michigan courtroom Sept. 22, 2016. CBS Detroit

He pleaded guilty Feb. 15 to second-degree murder in the carbon monoxide poisonings of Koi and Kaleigh Green, ages 5 and 4, and the shooting deaths of Chadney and Kara Allen, 19 and 17.

Green’s wife, Faith Harris-Green, was shot and slashed but survived the attack. She was mother to all four children. Green -- who previously spent 16 in prison for killing his first wife, who was pregnant — was biological father to Koi and Kaleigh, CBS Detroit reports.

Speaking before the sentencing, Harris-Green said she’s suffering migraines and nightmares as a result of what she went through.

“Sometimes I dream of the night all this happened and wake up screaming and sweating, thinking that I can save my children somehow,” she said. “Then I realize that the nightmare is actually reality, and that my children are really gone. I try to find the strength to start my day somehow.”

Green won’t be eligible for parole until he’s 97 years old.  

“Of all the tragic cases this court has seen…this is by far the worst,” Judge Diane Hathaway said, just before handing down the sentence. “Fathers are supposed to protect their children, husbands are supposed to protect their wives.”

“Your actions are inconceivable and beyond understanding,” she added, before explaining that she would be following the sentence agreement, noting that he will most likely never be released from prison.

Harris-Green said she’s not satisfied with the sentencing agreement. “There’s no punishment that fits the crime,” she told the court. “Not even torture and death would do justice. Your justice will come when you burn in hell for all eternity.”

“First of all, it’s in God’s hands; only he can judge,” Green said after his wife spoke and just before being handed his sentence. “You know, I do regret and I’m sorry for what has happened.”

“However, all I ever wanted was a God-fearing (inaudible) to help me, that would support me, and be faithful no matter what,” Green added.

According to prosecutors, Green called 911 around 1:15 a.m. on Sept. 28 and admitted to killing his family. When police arrived at the home — in the 4400 block of Hipp, near Pelham and Annapolis roads -- he was waiting on the porch and was immediately taken into custody.

After the arrest, police entered the home and discovered Harris-Green in the basement, bound with duct tape and zip ties. It is alleged that Green bound his wife, who had previously filed for divorce, cut her face with a box cutter and shot her foot. Prosecutors say he then shot his teenage stepchildren in front of his wife, multiple times, execution-style. Both were pronounced dead at the scene.

Upstairs, police discovered the bodies of Koi and Kaleigh tucked into their beds. It is alleged that Green poisoned the two younger children with carbon monoxide -- duct tape was found on the muffler of a car in the garage and a plastic tube was attached to the car — and then moved their bodies back inside the home. The children were pronounced dead at a local hospital.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue