- Many sales professional jump to their solutions too quickly during the initial meetings.
- Huthwaite's SPIN selling model is correct, but can encourage premature pitching.
- Instead, focus on the effect and impact that the problem is having on the organization.
- Failure to do so means not know whether the problem is a priority compared to other problems.
- Example: the problem is "reduce costs" but the real reason is a need to invest elsewhere.
- The Secret: Hold back before pitching until you've figured out the real buying motivator.