Fighting between Morsi supporters and opponents turn deadly

Morsi supporters clash with Egypt's military 02:39

(CBS News) CAIRO - Two days after Egypt's military removed President Mohammed Morsi, his supporters flooded the streets, demanding he be reinstated. There were battles, and Egypt's ministry of health says at least 30 people were killed. More than 200 were hurt.

Under the hot noon sun, tens of thousands of supporters of ousted President Morsi gathered for Friday prayers. Dispirited and emotional, they cried to God for help.

Senior Muslim Brotherhood leader Muhamad al Beltagy said there would be no retreat. "We're not going home, we're staying here until this coup is over and until our president returns," he told us, "even if the tanks run us over, today we'll take back our revolution."

After prayers, thousands marched to the well-guarded military barracks where they believe Morsi is being held.

Deadly clashes between Morsi backers, military in Cairo
U.S. cautious during Egypt's political transition
U.S.-Egypt relationship uncertain after Morsi's ouster
Egypt's temporary president sworn in

The protestors were stopped at an army barricade. Soldiers fired tear gas at the crowd. The demonstrators pushed forward. More shots rang out, and one man slumped to the ground, shot in the head.

When we arrived we were immediately surrounded by people who told us troops had opened fire, although the army denied it.

"The army in front of me shot one of my friends in his head," said a man in the crowd.

"I found him dead and his was horrible, it was terrible," said another man.

The crowd pushed forward again and soldiers fired off volleys of tear gas. One man was carried away bleeding from the head.

The military keeps firing tear gas on the crowds, but as soon as the gas dissipates, these people march right back again. Military helicopters flew low overhead, monitoring the scene.

As night fell, Morsi's defenders headed towards Tahrir Square where thousands are still celebrating the deposed president's downfall. There were violent clashes on the way. The two groups threw rocks and Molotov cocktails at each other for several hours before the military intervened.

The Muslim Brotherhood's supreme leader gave a televised address in which he implored his followers to remain calm. But many of Morsi's supporters believe that their president is being illegally detained and that they are being targeted. And certainly the military's actions in Cairo Friday are unlikely to do anything to change their minds.

  • Clarissa Ward
    Clarissa Ward

    Foreign Correspondent, CBS News