Last Updated Oct 24, 2008 7:39 PM EDT
Of course, it's not nearly that simple or necessarily that effective, but it certainly can be a frugal way to stretch your marketing budget.
So as my contribution to your zero-budget marketing program, here are some tips gleaned from a recent Bulldog Reporter audio conference on word-of-mouth (WOM) marketing:
- WOM Marketing = giving people a reason to talk about you and your stuff, and making it easier for the conversation to take place
- What can you get people to talk about? Something they would be willing to tell a friend. So the way to develop WOM messages is to test them against a very simple standard: would anyone tell their friend about this?
- Talkers: people who talk about you (duh!)
- Topics: what are they talking about
- Tools: how are you making it easy for them to talk about you?
- Taking part: participating
- Tracking: measuring your WOM impact