Dismembered remains of missing NYC boy Leiby Kletzky found

The body of 8-year-old Lieby Kletzky was found dead June 13, 2011 after going missing earlier in the week.

Police say half of Leiby's body was found Wednesday following a search in a refrigerator inside the Brooklyn home of a man now being questioned by detectives.

Half of Leiby's remains were found in a dumpster in another Brooklyn neighborhood, reports CBS station WCBS

Those remains were found wrapped in a black plastic garbage bag, inside a red suitcase that had been tossed into a trash bin.

Early Wednesday, authorities arrested three people at the Brooklyn home. FBI and police had to kick the door in. A gold car was found nearby, similar to one seen in a surveillance video police uncovered during their hunt for the boy.

A man who is seen walking near the boy in a surveillance video is one of those in custody, chief police spokesman Paul J. Browne said.

Dismembered remains of missing NYC boy Leiby Kletzky found
Leiby Kletzky
Personal Photo

(CBS/WCBS) NEW YORK - The intense hunt for missing Brooklyn boy Leiby Kletzky has taken a shocking and tragic turn, as police say they believe they have recovered the dismembered remains of the 9-year-old.

Pictures: Leiby Kletzky

Leiby was supposed to meet his mother at 5 p.m. Monday after leaving day camp in Brooklyn, but he never showed up. His disappearance prompted an intense search, with much of the orthodox Jewish community he was part of taking to the streets to hunt for the boy.

Leiby was just 4-feet-4-inches tall, with dark hair. He wore black glasses, a striped shirt and was carrying a knapsack.

Two surveillance videos offered possible leads in the disappearance late Tuesday.

One video showed the young boy leaving his day camp and walking past his home.

A second video, which was released late Tuesday night, showed the boy walking behind another man, according to police. Investigators believe Leiby may have gotten into the man's gold-colored sedan.

Since Monday night, volunteers organized by the Flatbush Shomrim - the Jewish community patrols - fanned out looking for the boy.

Leiby had begged his parents to let him walk home, WCBS reports. They had given him a note, saying he would not be taking the bus.