If you're going to be cold calling, your conversion rate will be largely dependent upon the strength of your opening statement. So here's what I want you to do.
Call your own voice mail and pretend that you've just gotten a prospect on the line. Listen to your opening statement carefully, then answer the following eight questions:
- Did you communicate respect for the customer's time?
- Did you sound like you're focused on helping the customer?
- Did you obtain permission to continue the conversation?
- Did you immediately identify who you are?
- Did you provide a compelling reason to speak with you?
- Did you mention a customer-oriented benefit?
- Did you avoid details that would normally emerge later?
- Did you guide the customer to the needs analysis part of the call?
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Closing the Sale."