Last Updated Mar 8, 2010 11:19 AM EST
I didn't want to believe that Jubilant Organosys was really a company name, but it is, no kidding. Thanks to reader thedudeistoocool - a dumb name in itself, dude.
Then there was Allen, Allen, Allen & Allen from mlauren22. A personal injury law firm, no less. And yes, it's for real. Some other good ones:
PricewaterhouseCoopers from reader Petriedn.
Carl's Jr. submitted by Tina Lewis Rowe.
And Boar's Head Meats from AARONDEAN.
Some readers suggested I follow up with great company names. Well, I thought about it for about ten seconds and, you know, it's just not the same. Then it hit me: clever stock ticker symbols, now that's something I could get into.
Note that I didn't include any single letter symbols, acronyms (except for one exception), or symbols that were the same as the company name itself. Too easy.
25 Clever Stock Ticker Symbols for an ADD World
- BOOM Dynamic Materials (Unfortunately, their stock sort of "blew up" today)
- NUT ML Macadamia Orchards
- BEN Franklin Resources
- DNA Genentech
- BID Sotheby's
- HOG Harley-Davidson
- GROW U.S. Global Investors
- BUD Anheuser-Busch InBev
- CASH Meta Financial Group
- CAKE The Cheesecake Factory
- ROCK Gibraltar Industries
- BABY Natus Medical
- TAP Molson Coors Brewing
- FUN Cedar Fair (Amusement parks -- of course)
- BOOT Lacrosse Footwear
- EYE Advanced Med Optics
- JOB General Employment Enterprises
- GAS NICOR (natural gas)
- EAT Brinker International (owner of Chili's)
- ZEUS Olympic Steel
- LUV Southwest Airlines (named for Dallas Love Field)
- MMM 3M
- CAR Avis Budget Group
- CAT Caterpillar
- LAVA Magma Design Automation
If you've got any ideas for similar amusing blog post categories, I'm all ears.