Rise and shine! Get your day started with this delicious coffee drink flavored with vanilla and ginger. The simple syrup recipe yields extra so be sure to store it in the refrigerator for your next coffee craving.
Want a bit more caffeine? Use coffee in place of water when making ice cubes. Freezing brewed coffee in ice cube trays is a great trick for keeping iced coffee from becoming diluted by melting ice cubes.
Good Morning Coffee
Makes 1 Serving
3 ounces espresso
1 ounce half and half cream
1/4 ounce Vanilla-Ginger Simple Syrup (recipe follows)
Soft Whipped Maple Cream, for garnish (recipe follows)
Freshly grated nutmeg, for garnish
- Combine the espresso, half and half and the vanilla-ginger syrup in a Boston shaker with ice.
- Shake until the drink is frothy and pour into a rocks glass. Top with the maple whipped cream and finish the drink with freshly grated nutmeg.
Vanilla-Ginger Simple Syrup
2 vanilla bean pods, cut in half
1/4 cup chopped ginger
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
- Combine all the ingredients in a pot. Cook on the stove at a low simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Allow mixture to cool then pour through a strainer to remove the ginger and vanilla bean.
- Scrape out the vanilla beans and add them to the simple syrup.
Soft Whipped Maple Cream:
2 ounces maple syrup
2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Combine the maple syrup and whipping cream and whip the mixture until it reaches a soft peak consistency. Be sure not to over whip.
More from the Culinary Institute of America:
You can also find more recipes (with instruction videos) in the CIA site's recipe section.
For more info: