Chelsea F.C. has signed a three-year advertising partnership with 188Bet to promote the online gambling brand and the club in Asia. The deal does not affect U.S. territories because online gambling is illegal in America.
188Bet's rights with Chelsea in Asia now prevent any brand that wants an exclusive global position with Chelsea -- including both the U.S. and Asia -- from securing the deal niche now taken by 188Bet in Asia. (The kind of brands who might want such rights are soda companies, or even Samsung, for whom a low-millions deal would be a mere bagatelle.)
The club's face-offs against the Seattle Sounders, Internazionale, AC Milan, and Club American resulted in a combined total audience of 274,945 â€" the largest four-match figures in the country's history.In the 188Bet Asia deal, Chelsea players will be used in ads and commercials to promote gambling.
188Bet dare not expand its deal with Chelsea to the U.S. because prosecutors here have taken a hard line on web-betting. BetonSports founder Gary Kaplan last week pled guilty to conspiracy and violating wagering laws. He agreed to pay $43 million and serve two-plus years in federal prison.
The 188Bet deal will be a welcome but marginal event in Chelsea's finances. The club owes its owner something in the region of Â£750 million.
- Standard Chartered Eyed in Â£15M Liverpool F.C. Sponsor Deal
- Carlsberg Confirms Talks With Liverpool on Â£7.5M Sponsor Pact
- Fox Axes Host in Ad Boycott Over Soccer Stadium Deaths
- Chelsea F.C. Disowns Fox Host in Ad Boycott
- Is Chelsea's New Sponsor Deal With Samsung Big Enough to Affect Its Debts?
- Arsenal's Â£100M Sponsorship Deal With Emirates No Longer Looks Like a Good Deal
- Will Death of Ex-Saatchi CEO Dreyfus Lift Curse of Marseille?
- Liverpool F.C. Seek Â£80 Mil. Deal With Carlsberg, But the Brewer May Not Easily Be Replaced
- Manchester United Sign Aon to Replace AIG as Shirt Sponsor; Club Returns to Profitability
- Q&A: Fox's Steven Cohen on the Advertiser Boycott Over His Remarks on Soccer Stadium Deaths
- Fox Host Lambasts Sponsors for Abandoning Show After Remarks on Soccer Stadium Deaths