Glenn Beck's audience reached nearly 3 million this week, even as the number of sponsors who have axed their ads in his breaks reached 46. And Beck dug himself in deeper yesterday by comparing President Obama to Adolf Hitler (video below).
It seemed for one brief moment on Wednesday that Beck might apologise for calling President Obama a "racist" with a "hatred of white people" -- thus ending the advertiser boycott of his Fox News Channel show -- but that moment has passed.
The context: This is unusual. I cannot remember the last time I saw such a complete, deliberate, sustained abandoning of a top-rated show by corporate America.
Although the story remains the same, as each day passes it becomes more dramatic. Who will cave first? Fox and Beck? Or advertisers who want 6 million eyeballs?
In the meantime, Beck yesterday addressed the president's alleged funding of Americorps with "half a trillion dollars." (It's actually being funded with less than $1 billion a year.) Beck claimed Americorps will become Obama's version of the SS:
... this is what Hitler did with the SS, he had his own people, he had the Brownshirts ...(They're actually going to be restoring parks and building houses.)
- Glenn Beck Addresses Ad Boycott: "They Can Take My Job!"; Channels Howard Beale From "Network"
- Glenn Beck Returns From Vacation; Can He End Ad Boycott This Week?
- UPDATED: Glenn Beck's Current Advertisers: Extenze and the "Egg Genie"
- UPDATED: Fox Runs House Ads to Fill Empty Slots in Glenn Beck Boycott
- Conagra, Roche, Sanofi and RadioShack Pull Ads From Fox's Beck
- Geico, Others Join Ad Boycott of Fox's Beck Over "Obama Is Racist" Remarks
- P&G, Progressive Pull Ads From Glenn Beck's Fox Show After "Obama Is Racist" Remarks
- Fox Axes Host in Ad Boycott Over Soccer Stadium Deaths