A Time To Heal

Sgt. Justin Farrar, who survived the May 29, 2006, car bombing in Baghdad that killed four, and among others, injured Kimberly Dozier.
At Fort Hood, Texas, the soldiers of the 4th Infantry Division are training for an eventual return to Iraq. "My job now is to get all my guys trained up and ready to go over," says Cpl. Michael Potter.

Potter will go with them, but first he's getting used to using his hands again. "The recovery for my hands was a very long and painful process," he says.

Both of Potter's hands were severely burned. "I couldn't open up a soda bottle," he remembers.

For now, he's simply glad to be alive. "I learned to appreciate life more, not, you know, take as many things for granted. It could happen again, you never know," he says.

But one soldier isn't ready to rejoin his comrades. Sgt. Justin Farrar, like many soldiers who serve in Iraq, suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder. He's having a hard time recovering emotionally from the attack.

"It's not my fault, and I've been told by all kinds of people and everybody, but before we left, I mean...," he says.

"You felt like you should have been closer to Capt. Funkhouser?" Katie Couric asks.

"I felt like I should have protected him better," Farrar says.

"But he told you to fall back a little, didn't he?" Couric asks.

"Yeah. He was still my primary mission," he says.

Back at home, Farrar says he can't put his uniform on. "I look at it everyday and it's hard," he says.

Asked what he is afraid of, Farrar tells Couric, "I don't know. I think I'm afraid of the whole thing, the whole experience to get coming out again."

Fortunately, Farrar has other things to live for now — his wife, and his infant daughter. "There was times when I was sitting on the ground in Iraq and it hurt so bad I wanted to quit. I wanted to give up. And when I closed my eyes, that was who I seen.I mean that's why I opened my eyes again. You know, her, my baby and my wife, that's what got me home."

Staff Sgt. Nathan Reed, on the other hand, is getting back in shape, so he can return to active duty at Fort Knox, Ky. "For the most part, I mean, I cherish every day like it was my last day," he says.

"How's your wife doing with all this?" Couric asks.

"She's doing good," Reed replies.

"She's happy to have you home and alive," Couric says.

"Yeah, she's happy to have me alive, safe, back home," he says.

Last summer, Kimberly Dozier began to learn to walk again, too, slowly and painfully.

Asked what it was like walking for the first time, Dozier tells Couric, "To take the first few steps with, first, a walker, it was devastating and depressing. I couldn't believe that I couldn't walk. Then I would look down the hall and see guys who had lost limbs, who had horrible brain injuries and I'd think, 'I can deal with this... they have a lot more to get through.'"