Thankfully for the afflicted, Tai Goodwin is offering five ways to fight burnout on blog CAREEREALISM, and what better time to tackle your dangerous decline in motivation than at the new year? So what steps does Goodwin recommend?
- Get Real: Acknowledge how you are feeling about your work-life.... The more you try to ignore how you really feel, the more anxiety and frustration you will feel about your situation.
- Get Inspired: Find a book, audio CD, or MP3 â€" something that tells someone else's success story and read it or listen to it.
- Take Control: Are there too many meetings and tasks on your to-do list? Become a guardian of your time and energy by mastering your schedule. Limit the number of meetings you have a day... Set up a system for managing emails and prioritizing request.
- Play a Different Role: Are you the team member that organizes everything? Or are you the ad-hoc tech support person for your team?.... Taking on a specific role within your team may have boxed you in. Whatever hat you normally wear â€"- take it off. Changing how you engage can change how you feel about your work and your colleagues.
- Make a Plan: It can be really hard to stay motivated if you can't see a light at the end of the tunnel.... Start putting together a plan for how you are going to escape or move into another role. It could mean going back to school, updating your resume for a lateral move within your company, expanding your professional network.