Last Updated Jul 14, 2011 1:52 PM EDT
Nintendo told Kotaku that the 3DS will get a select number of 3D movies shortly after today's launch. It's unclear how many movies or what movies will be available.
Mario in trouble
What is clear is that Nintendo needs as much help as it can get selling systems. The gaming giant had its lowest Wii sales ever and the 3DS portable, released this past March, is already lagging behind Sony's (SNE) old PSP portable system.
In short, the little 3DS portable is going to have to be Nintendo's saving grace.
3D sucks, but still sells
This summer's 3D movies are getting royally panned, but there are many reasons to believe that 3D films could be a serious selling point for the 3DS:
- Despite critics, 3D movies are making bank at the box office. The universally hated Green Lantern still made $52.7 million opening weekend in America -- just below industry expectations.
- The kid-friendly 3DS is a great vehicle for 3D films like Justin Bieber's Never Say Never 3D and Cars 2.
- Unless you're buying an off-brand Android tablet, you're not getting glasses-less 3D native on a device.
Photo courtesy of someToast
- Et Tu, Pikachu? App-Basher Nintendo Releases Its First Pokemon App
- Thanks to Hollywood, Netflix is Pricing Itself Out of a Business
- Nintendo and Sony Still Don't Get It: Apple's Already Crushing Them in Gaming
- Verizon iPhone: A Serious Threat to Sony, Nintendo
- Nintendo at E3: Awkward Wii U Mates the Worst of Tablets and Consoles