If you have to buy any of America's most expensive textbooks, however, your budget would be decimated.
What you're seeing here is a list of the country's most obscenely priced college textbooks. I asked Valore Books, which has four billion books listed on its used college textbook site, to run a search to find the college textbooks with the highest prices. Here are the textbooks that made it into my College Textbook Hall of Shame:
Highest Priced College Textbooks
- Acta Philosophorum The First Journal of Philosophy: $1,450
- Encyclopedia of International Media and Communications: $1,215
- Management Science An Anthology: $850
- History of Early Film: $740
- Biostatistical Genetics and Genetic Epidemiology: $665
- Companion Encyclopedia of Psychology: $600
- Feminism and Politics: $600
- Concepts and Design of Chemical Reactors: $593
- Advanced Semiconductor and Organic Nano-Techniques: $570
- Ethics in Business and Economics: $550
- Environment in the New Global Economy: $510
- Solid State Chemistry and Its Applications: $500
I think most students know that the best way to find cheap college textbooks is to buy online. At Valore Books, for instance, you can buy Acta Philosophorum for $184. What's surprising, however, is that only 23% of students buy their college textbooks online.
One reasons why more students don't turn to the Internet for cheap college textbooks is because many college bookstores, which are more expensive, don't release the names of required college textbooks for classes until the last minute. To get the cheapest textbooks possible, contact professors this summer so you'll have plenty of time to find the best textbook deals.
More on CBSMoneyWatch:12 Facts About Student Loan Borrowers
College Tuition: Schools Cutting Prices at Historic Levels
Most expensive college textbook image by Adam UXB Smith. CC 2.0.