Watch CBS News

Man Killed In Liberty City Shooting Dodged Murder Charge

MIAMI (CBSMiami) – One of two people who died in a Liberty City shooting late Tuesday night made headlines three months ago when his lawyer beat a second degree murder charge using a 'stand your ground' defense.

Police believe Greyston Garcia, 26, had just left his job at a convenience store Tuesday evening around 9:30 p.m. when gunfire broke out in the 6900 block of NW 15th Avenue.  A stray bullet shattered the passenger side window of Garcia's truck before it slammed into him.

When police arrived they found Garcia dead in his truck and a critically injured 16-year old Ronald Dwayne Jones lying in a side street.  The teen was rushed toJacksonMemorialHospital'sRyderTraumaCenterbut he died on the way.  Investigators suspect the shooting was between two rival gangs and Garcia was an innocent victim.

Word of the shooting shocked and saddened those who knew Garcia and Jones.

Jones's mother, who did not want to be identified, told CBS4's Peter D'Oench, "We had just come out of the house when we heard the shots. I saw my baby out there lying in the street. He was dead. He was my miracle child.He was my baby. I miss everything about him. I miss all of his hugs and kisses."

"He was one of four children and he was looking forward to getting involved with landscaping," she said.

"Now this happened. I want to know who killed my baby. Just please come forward if you can help. We need assistance. It would mean a lot to me."

Jones's aunt, who would only say her name was Jerrie, told D'Oench, "My nephew was a good kid. He was getting his life together. I feel real bad about this tragedy involving my nephew and the man across the street."

"Everyone hopes that there will be some justice," said Jones' sister Ronchel Jones. "That will be done because this was senseless and uncalled for."

Jones said she saw her brother moments before he died.

"That's just an image I will never forget, just an ordeal no one will ever forget," said Jones.

Steven's Food Mart was open for business when Kenny Abdel, the owner, said he heard six guns shots.  After calling 9-1-1 he went outside to see what was going on.  That's when he learned his employee was dead in his truck.

"I realize that guy works for us," said Abdel. "It's very bad, you know what happened to him.  I don't think he deserved it."

Last March, Garcia was granted immunity by Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Beth Bloom in the death of Pedro Roteta, according to CBS4 news partner The Miami Herald.

On January 25th, Roteta broke into Garcia's truck and stole the radio.  Armed with a knife, Garcia chased him down and stabbed Roteta once, killing him.

During the trial, Bloom ruled that Garcia was well within his rights to chase down Roteta to try and get his property back.  She also ruled that Garcia acted in self-defense because Roteta had a swung a bag containing several stolen radios at his head.  Judge Bloom based part of her ruling on the testimony of the medical examiner who said the bag of radios, which weighed four to six pounds, could have caused serious bodily injured or possibly death if it had hit Garcia in the head.

On Wednesday afternoon, family members and friends gathered at Garcia'sMiamiapartment.

They told D'Oench that neither Garcia's widow nor any else in his family wanted to comment right now.

So far, Miami Police have no suspects. If you can help them solve this case, call them or Miami-Dade Crimestoppers at (305) 471-TIPS (8477).

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.