MIAMI (CBSMiami) – A foul odor coming from a Northeast apartment led police to the discovery of a body of an elderly woman and her unconscious husband.
Tuesday afternoon, a neighbor of 77-year old Wylene Floyd called the landlord to report a bad smell coming from her apartment at Romont South off 2nd Avenue and 203rd Street. Romont South is a seniors retirement complex near Miami Gardens.
The woman reportedly said the smell had been around for about 48 hours and had actually made people sick.
The landlord called a Paulette Campbell, a relative of the Floyds. When she went into the apartment through the back door, she found the body of her grandmother on the floor and Wylene's husband Bobby passed out not too far away.
Bobby Floyd was rushed to Jackson North. Once he is stable he may be moved to a facility with a hyperbaric chamber in Palm Beach County.
Campbell said her grandparents' apartment smelled of death and burnt food. She said her grandmother, who was originally from Quincy, Florida, loved to cook – it was her passion.
Miami-Dade investigators have focused their attention on a possibly faulty gas stove and oven which had recently been installed.
Campbell said Floyd had problems with the stove a year ago and it had been replaced.
for more features.