Watch CBS News

Father, Son Overcome By Carbon Monoxide

Follow CBSMIAMI.COM: Facebook | Twitter

MIAMI (CBSMiami) - A boy, unresponsive, had to be pulled from his bed, and a father, barely able to stand, were both taken to the hospital after being exposed to carbon monoxide.

"This is a father and son who are very lucky to be alive right now," said Ignatius Carroll, with Miami Fire Rescue.

CLICK HERE To Watch Maggie Newland's Report

The father remains in the hospital but the 12-year old boy has been treated and released.

According to Miami Fire Rescue, the father, identified by family as Randy Simon, woke up and realized his son was barely breathing and could hardly move.

Carroll said when they arrived, at the two story duplex at 1123 NW 51st Street, they "found the father at the front door barely able to walk and we understand that the son was laying on the bed."

The electricity had gone out so the dad reportedly set up a generator on the first floor of the house so they could get through the night.

Firefighters say fumes from the generator seeped up to the second floor while they slept. Somehow, the father woke up and called 9-1-1 just in time.

Carroll said he was brought outside to get fresh air and that he "slowly started to come around."

Both were taken to the hospital where they were listed in serious condition.

Relatives rushed over after hearing what happened.

Dorothy Howard said her 12-year-old nephew, Steven Simon, is a student at Miami Springs Middle School. She said her brother, the boy's dad, is a hardworking man and was just trying to look out for his son.

"So far they both are revived so that's a good thing and they're going for testing," Howard said.

Since carbon monoxide, dubbed the silent killer, can't be seen or smelled, victims don't often survive.

In April, a father was killed by carbon monoxide after a car was left running in the garage of his Wilton Manors home.

Emergency responders say they hope this incident serves as a lesson that will help save lives.

"We're hoping that a lot of people will learn from this incident here, that it is not safe to have generators inside your house. They're supposed to be outside," Carroll said.


View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.