Watch CBS News

Ex-NFL Star Lashes Out After Being Released From S. Fla. Prison

FLORIDA CITY (CBSMiami) -- The former NFL player who was sentenced to prison after a police-involved shooting on Miami Beach seven years ago is now out of jail.

Barret Robbins was released Tuesday morning from the Dade Correctional Institute, a state run prison in Florida City where he's been for the past year and a half.

When he was released, he was unapologetic for his attack on three Miami Beach police officers in 2005, and claimed that they shot him while he was down.

When asked about whether he would be able to conquer the alcohol and drug abuse that has plagued him, he told CBS4's Gary Nelson, "I'm not worried about that and that's not anybody's business but mine. That's something I'll deal with myself."

Robbins angrily broke off the interview, throwing in a profanity, when asked if he owed the officers he attacked an apology.

"You know what, cancel this, erase this. Erase what you got, I don't want any part of this s**t," said Robbins as he walked away from the camera.

Robbins was sentenced to serve 5-years in prison after a life and death run-in with Miami Beach police on January 15, 2005. Robbins was originally charged with three counts of attempted murder after savagely attacking three police officers at the Playwright Irish Pub on the 1200 block of Washington Avenue.

"I just started firing the gun," explained Miami Beach Det. Mike Muley in his first televised interview.

"He didn't fall down. I was kind of surprised. He just kind of bent over, put his elbows on his knees, and told me he was gonna kill me," Muley said.

"You have shot him twice, once through the heart, and what happens?" Gary Nelson asked.

"He didn't fall down like I thought he would," Muley said adding that Robbins continued to threaten him saying, "Now, I'm going to kill you."

The 6'3", 320-pound former NFL star knocked the cop's gun away and knocked the cop out cold. Robbins collapsed and incredibly survived the shot to the heart.

Once he recovered, Robbins told the court he suffered from bi-polar disorder which caused him to experience violent mood swings.

In the end, the three counts of attempted murder were bargained down to a stint in a treatment program and probation.

Police were livid about that and even more livid when Robbins filed a civil rights lawsuit against them, claiming they used "excessive force" and that he was the victim of an "unwarranted assault and battery."

Robbins described the events this way: "I remember just running into them and pushing them and getting shot."

The lawsuit was a loser, and so was Robbins, finally sentenced to prison after repeatedly violating probation.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.