RANCHO PALOS VERDES (CBSLA.com) — Trump National Golf Club Los Angeles in Rancho Palos Verdes will no longer host the PGA's annual Grand Slam of Golf due to racially charged comments made by owner and 2016 presidential candidate Donald Trump, officials announced Tuesday.
A statement released by the Professional Golfers Association did not give a specific reason for the move, acknowleding only that "the parties mutually agreed that it is in the best interest of all not to conduct the 2015 PGA Grand Slam of Golf at Trump National-Los Angeles."
The Grand Slam of Golf — which pits the winners of the year's four major tournaments against each other in a two-day, 38-hole challenge — is scheduled for Oct. 20-21.
Trump has stirred controversy in recent weeks following statements he made regarding "illegal immigrants pouring into the United States from Mexico and other parts of the world," according to a company statement.
Despite the announcement, however, Trump's company said he "does not want his friends at the PGA of America to
suffer any consequences or backlash."
The oft-controversial real estate mogul and reality TV star has been under fire from various groups over remarks made while announcing his bid for the White House last month.
Speaking on immigration, Trump said: "When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with (them). They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."
Univision responded by cutting business ties with Trump, and NBC and Macy's later followed suit. ESPN recently decided not to hold a charity golf tournament at one of Trump's courses.
(©2015 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)
for more features.