Watch CBS News

La Cañada Flintridge Neighborhood On Edge After Dog Nearly Dies From Poison-Laced Meatball

LA CANADA FLINTRIDGE (  — A La Cañada Flintridge neighborhood is concerned about the safety of their pets after a dog almost died from eating a meatball laced with poison.

KNX 1070's Megan Goldsby reports residents on Hampstead Road said at least four dogs have been poisoned within the last eight years.

La Cañada Flintridge Neighborhood On Edge After Dog Nearly Dies From Poison-Laced Meatball

Dan Horwath, the owner of 7-year-old June, said his dog nearly passed away a few weeks ago after consuming the poisoned meatballs.

"She was just lethargic, confused, tripping," he said.

Horwath said June was playing in the yard and brought up a meatball filled with pills. He then searched the grounds for more.

"And I found two more balls just like that full of gopher poison and the pills," he said.

Horwath speculates the balls were thrown into his yard from a trail near his property that is frequented by dozens of people every day.

The veterinarian determined the pills were strychnine, a toxic pesticide that can be lethal.

"She would probably have been dead. It was really touch and go that evening," said Horwath.

Four years ago, Horwath said his other dog, Benny, was poisoned and survived.

In 2009, his first dog died after experiencing the same symptoms.

"I believe that he was poisoned, yeah, I do, but there's no report, there's no proof," Horwath said.

Horwath's next door neighbor, who didn't want to be on-camera, said her dog died from poisoning eight years ago.

Horwath said he wants to warn others about the situation.

"To other dog owners, watch your dogs," he said.

Police told CBS2's Andrea Fujii that they're investigating the incidents.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.