IRVINE (CBSLA.com) — A 4-year-old girl was hailed as a hero Saturday for alerting her family of a possible fire burning inside their Irvine home.
Firefighters responded Friday to a home located in the 100 block of Remington for report of a possible structure fire.
Upon their arrival, crews located a woman, Kaitlyn Boyer, and her two young daughters standing outside of their apartment.
The family reported seeing smoke and smelling electrical problems in one of the rooms upstairs.
Firefighters investigated and found a ceiling fan had failed in the girls bedroom, but luckily did not cause any damage.
Crews cleared out the odor and light smoke in the home before they disconnected and removed the fan.
A preliminary investigation revealed Boyer's daughter, Sammy, had originally warned her of smoke in her bedroom when she went upstairs to get a toy.
"[Sammy] was aware, smart and calm enough to see smoke in her bedroom and notified her mom, who called 911," said Orange County Fire Authority Capt. Jason Williams.
The incident remains under investigation.
for more features.