FULLERTON (CBSLA.com) — More than one year after the alleged beating of homeless man Kelly Thomas by Fullerton police officers, the city's acting police chief on Tuesday will clear Thomas of any wrongdoing.
KNX 1070's Jon Baird reports Thomas' father Ron worked with acting Chief Dan Hughes to draft the language of the expected statement.
The statement will acknowledge that police had no probable cause to stop Thomas, who police say became combative after officers investigating reports of a man burglarizing cars in a Metrolink station parking lot tried to search him on July 5, 2011.
Thomas, 37, who was a diagnosed schizophrenic, died on July 10, 2011, from injuries he suffered during his encounter with police.
Legal analyst Amy Stoody-King said the statement should worry two former Fullerton officers on trial for Thomas' death.
"If I represented either of these officers, I would be running to the District Attorney's office and trying to work out a plea," Stoody-King said. "This is a case in which probable cause was always an issue...the city is acknowledging that things weren't done right."
A third Fullerton police officer could also face charges for the alleged assault, but so far none have been filed.
The City Council meeting is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. at Fullerton City Hall.
for more features.