Watch CBS News

Barbecue Mishap Blamed For Fire That Destroys 4 Condo Units In Chatsworth

CHATSWORTH ( — A fire destroyed four condos in Chatsworth Tuesday afternoon.

Officials blamed a mishap with a propane barbecue grill for igniting the out-of-control blaze.

Firefighters seemed to be gaining the upper hand on the fire in one unit when fire poked through the roof of the adjoining apartment. The fire then quickly spread to two more units.

The condo complex is located in the 22100 block of James Alan Circle.

Officials were originally called to the scene about a fire in a garage just before 5 p.m.

KCAL 9's Rachel Kim said firefighters were hampered in the battle due to 35 mph winds.

Part of the roof collapsed.

About 120 firefighters battled the blaze.

Investigators said a homeowner was barbecuing on his patio when his propane tank developed a leak.  The flames spread into a garage and then into the adjacent units.

Two firefighters suffered injuries -- one a dislocated shoulder, the other burns to a hand.  Both are expected to be okay.

No residents were injured.






View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.