Dr. Michael Mosley is the author of The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet and the coauthor, with Mimi Spencer, of the #1 New York Times bestseller The FastDiet, which has been published in over thirty-two languages around the world. He is also coauthor, with Peta Bee, of FastExercise and wrote the foreword for The FastDiet Cookbook by Mimi Spencer and Dr. Sarah Schenker. Dr. Mosley trained to be a doctor at the Royal Free Hospital in London before joining the BBC, where he has been a science journalist, executive producer, and, more recently, a well-known television personality. He has won numerous television awards, including an RTS (Royal Television Award), and was named Medical Journalist of the Year by the British Medical Association.
Dr. Michael Mosley's The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet (published by our sister company Simon & Schuster) is a radical new approach to defeating diabetes without drugs, as well as a great weight loss plan for all. The diet instructs readers to follow a regimented, 800-calorie-a-day diet for eight weeks with often tremendous results, including lower blood sugar levels and shedding dangerous fat. For those starting their own 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet, here are two great meal plans to stay under 800-calories!
Blueberry And Green Tea Smoothie
- 7 ounces water
- 1 teabag green tea
- 2 ounces blueberries
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon almonds
- 1 tablespoon flaxseeds
- Bring the water to a boil, add the teabag, and allow it to steep for 4 minutes.
- Remove the teabag and chill the tea in the fridge, preferably overnight.
- Place in a blender with the other ingredients and whizz together.
Pepper With Jeweled Feta
- 1 red bell pepper
- olive oil
- 1 ounce feta, diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped pistachios
- 4 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2-inch piece cucumber, diced
- seeds from 1 pomegranate
- juice of ½ lemon
- Preheat the broiler.
- Halve the bell pepper and remove the seeds. Brush the skin with the oil and place skin side up on a baking tray. Broil the pepper for 5 minutes.
- Combine all the other ingredients in a bowl.
- Remove the bell pepper halves from the broiler and stuff with the feta mixture.
Eggplant with Lamb and Pomegranate
- 2 eggplants, halved lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and black pepper
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 7 ounces lean ground lamb
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- 1 handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place the eggplant in a roasting dish skin side down. Lightly brush with some of the oil, season with a pinch of salt and plenty of pepper, and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a pan, add the onion, cumin, paprika, and cinnamon and cook over medium heat for 8 minutes. Add the lamb, pine nuts, and tomato puree and cook for 8 minutes more. Just before the end of the cooking time, stir in the pomegranate seeds.
- Remove the eggplant from the oven and divide the lamb mixture evenly between each half. Return to the oven and bake 10 minutes more. Serve topped with parsley.
Cheesy Baked Beans
Season 2 portobello mushrooms and place under the broiler for 2 minutes. Heat half a can of baked beans in a pan, add a splash of Worcestershire sauce, and melt in a handful of grated mozzarella. Serve on the mushrooms.
Steak With Crème Fraîche And Peppercorn Sauce
- 7 ounces beef stock
- 3½ ounces red wine
- 2 sirloin steaks (8 ounces each)
- pinch of steak seasoning
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons crème fraîche
- 2 teaspoons mixed peppercorns, coarsely crushed
- two large handfuls mixed greens
- Pour the stock and wine into a small saucepan and boil rapidly for about 10 minutes to reduce it, then season with a pinch of salt.
- Season the steaks with a pinch of steak seasoning and allow to reach room temperature. Place a skillet over high heat and add the butter and oil. Add the steaks to the hot pan and, keeping the heat high, cook 3 minutes on one side for medium or 2 minutes for rare. Turn them over and give them another 2 minutes on the other side for medium or 1 minute for rare.
- Pour in the reduced stock, crème fraîche, and peppercorns. Stir well and cook for 1 minute more. Serve with mixed greens.
for more features.