2 ea Sweet Onions (1015Y, Imperial Sweet, Oso Sweet, Vidalia, Walla Walla)
1 cup Pancake Mix
1 cup Corn Starch
2 tsp Italian Herb Seasoning
1/4 cup Corn Meal
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Sugar
few drops Vanilla Extract
1 ea Egg
1 TBS Yellow Mustard
1/2 cup Milk (or Beer)
for frying Corn or Vegetable Oil
· Peel onion and cut crosswise into ½ inch thick slices. Separate into rings.
· In a mixing bowl, combine Pancake Mix, Italian Herb Seasoning, Corn Meal, Salt, Sugar, Vanilla Extract, Mustard and Egg.
· Gradually stir in Milk (or Beer) just until batter is thick and smooth. (You may need more milk/beer, or you may need less.)
· Heat about 1" of oil in a deep frying pan to about 300 - 350 degrees.
· Dip Onion Rings into the batter, coating well. Allow excess batter to drip into the bowl.
· Fry the Onion Rings in small batches until golden brown, turning occasionally.
· Transfer Onion Rings with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
· Serve Hot.
for more features.