Watch CBS News

TCU QB Boykin Arrested For Assaulting Peace Officer

Follow CBSDFW.COM: Facebook | Twitter

SAN ANTONIO (CBSDFW.COM) - There is potential trouble for the TCU football team after starting quarterback Trevone Boykin was taken into custody in San Antonio early Thursday. The incident happened shortly before 2:00 a.m. at a bar located in the city. The team is in San Antonio for a bowl game on Saturday.

According to the San Antonio Police Department, the 22-year-old football player was charged with assaulting a peace officer, a third-degree felony. His bond was set at $5,000 and he has since been released from custody. Boykin may also face charges of resisting arrest and public intoxication.

Trevone Boykin
(credit: San Antonio Police Department)

Chief William McManus provided details later Thursday morning.

Boykin was at the bar with some of his teammates, and began arguing with other patrons at that establishment. "He was being heckled and he responded to it, unfortunately," McManus explained. The fight continued outside of the building, and involved employees who were trying to remove him from the premises.

Some bicycle officers noticed the argument and tried to intervene. Boykin's teammates tried to hold him back, saying that they would all go to their nearby hotel. But the quarterback broke away from the group and returned to resume the fight.

Boykin started throwing punches, and one of them struck a peace officer. The officer suffered a swollen face with some bruises and abrasions. He is expected to be just fine. "We don't know if he was swinging at the officer or somebody behind," McManus added, "but, in any event, the officer was struck in the face."

A bar employee may have also been struck by the TCU player.

According to police, Boykin continued to behave aggressively until he was threatened with a Taser.

This all comes just days before the Horned Frogs are set to face off against the Oregon Ducks in the Alamo Bowl. That game is set for Saturday, but it appears as though Boykin will not be playing. A statement posted online from coach Gary Patterson on Thursday morning stated, "Trevone Boykin and Preston Miller have been suspended for Saturday's game due to a violation of team rules. We are disappointed in their actions and apologize to the TCU Horned Frogs Nation, Valero Alamo Bowl and city of San Antonio."

Miller is a wide receiver for the Horned Frogs. His involvement in the altercation, if any, is not clear.

TCU assistant athletics director Mark Cohen also released a statement Thursday which read, "We are aware of a situation last night and are gathering information. We will continue to closely monitor this and evaluate details as they become available."

McManus said Thursday morning that the school had not yet contacted his department for more information about this case.


View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.