Watch CBS News

Video shows moment fans struck by gunfire at White Sox game

Police investigate White Sox shooting, but fans come out for next game anyway
Police investigate White Sox shooting, but fans come out for next game anyway 02:37

CHICAGO (CBS) -- Two White Sox fans are hurt after a shooting Friday night, but it's still unclear where the bullets were fired. The big question is whether the shots were fired inside or outside the ballpark. Detectives are looking into both possibilities, but CBS 2 crews spotted them searching for evidence almost a mile away. 

On Saturday, the otherwise empty lot was full of Chicago Police officers looking for shell casings in the grass and in the alley near West 42nd Street and South Princeton Avenue. 

Police sources tell CBS 2 a ShotSpotter detected gunshots there Friday night. Neighbors say they heard them. 

Cameras in the stands at Guaranteed Rate Field captured the moment a 41-year-old woman in section 162 realized she'd been shot in the leg. 

Police say a 26-year-old woman was also grazed in the abdomen. 

Police sources say it happened at the same time shots were detected near 42nd Street. 

Sources say the women were teachers on a group outing. 

Fellow fans in the stands waved to security for help. Fans seated nearby told CBS 2 that security cleared out several rows to allow police to investigate. 

Video shows moment fans struck by gunfire at White Sox game 02:04

The White Sox played on, but the postgame concert was canceled. The Sox blamed "technical issues" with no mention of a shooting, which may have taken place far away from the stands. Staff said the incident was initially presented to them as an injury, and as police investigated, there was no active threat to other fans. 

"That was not canceled for any security concern. It was canceled so that CPD could go and investigate the area. They needed the lights to be on and they needed fans to be out of the area," said White Sox Senior Vice President Scott Reifert. 

The White Sox say their security team confirms there was no altercation inside the ballpark involved in this incident. 

"Everything that we had heard there was no gunshot in the ballpark last night. I think if that had happened, there would have been a far different reaction from the crowd from our security, right. From the CPD," said Reifert. 

Fans filled the area around Guaranteed Rate Field Saturday afternoon as another game against the Oakland As was about to start. 

Several people told CBS 2 they had no second thoughts about coming. 

When Mayor Brandon Johnson was asked about the Friday shooting, he said that Chicago Police would be out in full force. And uniformed police and K-9s could be seen around the park. 

A lot of fans showed up early to tailgate, not changing their plans because of the shooting. 

But one man, who did not want to share his information, was in the same section as the women who were injured Friday. He said he was disappointed in the way the whole thing was handled, but still came back Saturday. 

It was clear the injuries were a big topic of conversation. 

"I just wasn't saddened that people made choices like that that affect everybody," said fan Rachel Berndt. "But I know that they can happen anywhere."

"I feel like there is a little more security," said Yuridia Villalba. "I saw the dogs and everything. So I'm feeling pretty safe." 

"I just scratch my head," said Art Debare. "It's just another blunder for the White Sox this year. It's been a long season. And it's a tragedy, really."

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.