CHICAGO (CBS) – Police are warning businesses of recent burglaries in the Pilsen neighborhood.
According to authorities, the unknown offender enters business by breaking a window and taking cash, liquor, and cell phones before fleeing the scene.
Chicago police say altogether five break-ins happened on Black Friday, mainly in the early morning hours:
- 1700 block of South Racine Friday, November 26, 2021, 4:53 a.m.
- 1300 block of West 18th St. Friday, November 26, 2021, 5:00 p.m. -7:00 a.m.
- 1800 block of South Carpenter Friday, November 26, 2021, 5:35 a.m.
- 1100 block of West 18th St. Friday, November 26, 2021, 8:30 p.m. -8:00 a.m.
- 1400 block of West 18th St. Friday, November 26, 2021, 6:00 AM
The owners of a cafe at 18th and Carpenter had to board up their doors after they were shattered during a burglary.
And one business owner says these burglaries have been a problem on this street before. She says recently a thief broke glass and took a cash register from her nail salon.
"I'm just wondering when is it going to stop? Like what are they really trying to get? Everybody pays with cards mostly, so I'm wondering what they're really trying to get? Are they trying to scare people away from the neighborhood? I'm not sure," said Silvane Abraham, co-owner of Dulce Mal Nail Studio.
More businesses have been considering security shutters as a precaution due to the spike in break-ins.
There is no available description of the offender. Police remind businesses to always be aware of their surroundings, ensure all doors are locked, and report any suspicious activity.
Anyone with information can contact Area Three detectives at 312-744-8263.
for more features.