Watch CBS News

Hoverboard Catches Fire In Fox River Grove

CHICAGO (CBS) -- A hoverboard caught fire early Friday morning as residents of a home in northwest suburban Fox River Grove were sleeping.

Fox River Grove Fire Protection District Chief Robert Kreher said the hoverboard – which is basically a two-wheeled skateboard, not a literal hoverboard – had been charging in the family room of a home in the 500 block of Essex Road when it started on fire around 4:45 a.m.

Kreher said residents had heard popping noises and then the smoke detectors in the house. Residents went downstairs, and noticed the hoverboard that was charging overnight had heated up and caught fire.

"Luckily they had a fire extinguisher, and were able to extinguish the fire. We got there, we had to just ventilate some of the smoke out of the residence," he said.

Podcast

There have been a number of hoverboard fires in the United States in recent months. Last month, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said it was investigating why hoverboards have been catching fire, to find out how much of a risk the devices might present.

Kreher said he would never charge a hoverboard in a house, and certainly not while it's left unattended.

No one was injured in the fire.

EMERGENCY COMPONENT - LOCAL

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.