Watch CBS News

Exploding Hoverboard Sparks Fire In Orland Park Home

(CBS) -- Officials say one person was slightly injured in a fire caused by a hoverboard Sunday in the southwest suburbs, reports WBBM's Bernie Tafoya.

The fire happened on 172nd and Deer Trail in Orland Park just before 5 p.m., according to Orland Fire District spokesman Ray Hanania.


Hanania says residents had just bought a new hoverboard and were charging it in the family room and at some point it exploded, shooting burning pieces of the hoverboard across the room.

A couch and a window shade caught fire. Luckily, the family had a working smoke detector. Hanania says the detector alerted residents who extinguished the fire before firefighters got there.

One woman in the home burned her hand but did not want to be taken to a hospital.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.