Watch CBS News

Dog Owner Says Pet Was Shocked By Electrical Current At Humboldt Park

(CBS) – A Chicago couple believes their dog was shocked by electrical current near a wet light post in Humboldt Park.

CBS 2's Roseanne Tellez reports.

The beautiful weather at Humboldt Park on Thursday attracted parents with strollers, teenagers playing basketball and children riding bikes. But nearby is danger, says dog owner Shoebocks McGee.

He says he was out walking his dog Spot Tuesday night when the animal stepped on the metal base of a light post. "He was shaking. His heart was pounding," McGee says.

After checking to see whether Spot had stepped on glass or perhaps had been bitten or cut, he was convinced the dog had been shocked by electrical current. McGee's girlfriend called 3-1-1, the fire department and Humboldt Park officials.

Chicago Park District officials confirmed electricians inspected and secured all the light posts.

But at a time of year when so many children and pets are out enjoying the park, McGee says he won't be taking any chances.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.