Watch CBS News

Man charged in fight that killed a father in front of his Brooklyn Park home

Man charged in fight that killed a father in front of his Brooklyn Park home
Man charged in fight that killed a father in front of his Brooklyn Park home 02:29

BALTIMORE -- A man has been arrested in connection with the deadly beating of a Brooklyn Park father in front of his home earlier this year, all after a confrontation started at his child's school.

Trevor Taylor, a 26-year-old from Brooklyn, is charged with manslaughter, three counts of second-degree assault, affray and disorderly conduct, Anne Arundel County police said. 


Christopher Wright, 43, was allegedly attacked on May 19 by three or four people whom investigators initially described as men in their mid-20s to mid-30s, but charging documents show that most of the people in the group, aside from Taylor and one other adult, were minors.

"Although I am relieved that there has been progress in the investigation, we do not feel any relief in the grief that we have for the loss of Chris," said Tracy Karopchinsky, Wright's fiance. "We grieve now all of the things that Chris will not be a part of. First days, last days, football games, graduations, and weddings. This is still the beginning of a long journey. Nothing that happens from this day forward can bring back Chris, and nothing can change what happened. As we navigate how to live life without a father, a partner, and a friend, we are continuously grateful for the support from family, friends, and the community."

Police said the group went to Wright's home on Arundel Road West after an earlier confrontation that involved one of his children at Brooklyn Park Middle School.

Charging documents show that Wright's 14-year-old son and Taylor's 14-year-old nephew had gotten into a fight at the school that day.

According to the charging documents, Taylor later showed up at Wright's home and brought his nephew, two other minors, and an adult.

Taylor wanted his nephew to be able to fight Wright's son outside of the home, and he reportedly threatened to fight Wright if the two boys weren't allowed to square off, per court records.

Witnesses to the assault noted that "during the incident, it became clear to the Wright family that Trevor Taylor and his associates were not going to leave and were likely going to force their way into the house," according to charging documents.

Charging documents describe how Wright punched Talor as he continued to threaten to assault him, which prompted Taylor and the other adult to advance on Wright, per court records.

Taylor returned the punch as Wright moved away from the house.

During the fight, Taylor grabbed Wright's legs, which caused him to fall. Wright slammed his head against the pavement when he fell, and Taylor continued to assault him, per court records.

A nearby security camera captured the encounter, according to charging documents.

The medical examiner determined that Wright's death was caused by blunt-force trauma to the head, which occurred when his head struck the pavement. 

The judge ultimately sided with prosecutors, ordering him to remain in jail without bail.  

Taylor is being held without bail because a judge believes he could pose a safety risk.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.