Watch CBS News

Animal Update: More Bay Area Dogs Headed To Clinics With Marijuana Poisoning

SAN FRANCISCO (KCBS)— Recently the news has suggested that there's been a spike in the number of dog's poisoned by marijuana consumption here in California. Dr. Jennifer Scarlett from the San Francisco SPCA says it's true. More dogs are being rushed to Bay Area emergency clinics after eating pot that was intended for humans.

"This trend is being observed in multiple places in the Bay Area. One clinic is reporting that they're seeing one to two cases a week," Scarlett said.

Marijuana Poisoning In Pets

When a dog ingests marijuana, Scarlett said it's similar to the affects of many other sedatives. Dogs become listless, their eyes become dilated and there's a particular startled response in them.

"If you see your dog ingest marijuana, call your veterinarian," Scarlett said. "You may be able to induce vomiting or take it to your veterinarian and they can do that,"

However, once the THC (the active component in marijuana) takes affect, that anti-nausea component makes it really difficult to get rid of the marijuana. Your veterinarian will then likely detoxify your dog by putting them on fluid support and other supportive measures to make them more comfortable and okay while they process the drug.


View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.