Stop what you're doing and play Pac-Man on Google Maps right now
Now here's an April Fool's prank we can get behind.
Google says it's called "PAC-Maps" and calls it "our most ambitious update yet." Whether or not you buy into the notion that it has a purpose, the feature is worth a few minutes of your time -- and possibly more.
If you head to Google Maps right now, either in your browser or with the iOS or Android apps, you can turn the street map into a game of Pac-Man that you control with the cursor keys. You have to search for Pac-Man to start playing, as the game only works in certain places on the world map. Google offered a list of clues, below, to point you in the right direction. Or, if you try an unsupported spot, it will transport you to a place that works, like Manhattan or Cairo.
(Google has something of a thing for Pac-Man, clearly. They also celebrated his 30th birthday with a Google Doodle.)
Once you're in, it should feel pretty natural to eat those dots and chase those ghosts. That is, unless you're in an area where the streets aren't grids. That's a new twist that could leave you with nostalgic feelings of arcade frustration.
Here are Google's location clues:
- Don't drop the ball on the eve of your victory!
- Triumph is délicieux.
- Does a Galaxian bonus await at the top of those 272 steps?
- Chomp your way to independence down seven lanes of July.
- PAC-MAN and Ms. PAC-MAN can't agree on which side is prettier: the American or the Canadian. Which side do you fall on, eh?
- After a chat with the Sphinx, PAC-MAN sounds more like "Dokki Dokki".
- Pause game play to admire Chagall's stained glass windows and have a bit of chocolate.
- Can you score 10^(10^100) points?
- Whether they're flashing blue or sporting their natural colors, Blinky, Pinky, Inky, and Clyde are always kakkoii. Even Vogue agrees they're living in the trendiest of neighborhoods.
- Previous PAC-MAN lives don't get to rest in a white marble mausoleum.
- Head to the valley of the sun and earn your grade in the art of the game.
- How well can you navigate the radiating streets of the distrito federal?
- Victory is like gothic glockenspiel musik to our ears.
- Pay special attention to Blinky - he might blend in with the dreaming red kangaroos!
- You'll find the Beach PAC-MAN World Cup here before long.
Pac-Man should stay up on Google Maps for a few days. When you're done playing, check out Mount Everest in Street View.
for more features.