The panel cited disjointed airplane-passenger screening methods, pork-barrel security funding and other problems in saying the Bush administration and Congress had not moved quickly enough to enact the majority of its recommendations of July 2004.
"We're frustrated, all of us — frustrated at the lack of urgency in addressing these various problems," said Thomas Kean, a Republican and former New Jersey governor who was chairman of the commission.
The panel gave dismal grades to the federal government's efforts to shore up national security and prevent another terror attack.
Meeting for the last time since being appointed by Congress in 2002, commission members gave the government "more F's than A's" among the 41 grades measuring progress on security recommendations they issued last year.
Specifically, the panel gave the government an "F" on homeland security spending for cities most at risk, on improving radio communication for emergency agencies and on airline passenger prescreening. They awarded only one "A" — actually an "A-" — for the administration's efforts to curb terrorist financing.
"We shouldn't need another wake-up call," Kean said. "We believe that the terrorists will strike again, so does every responsible expert that we have talked to. And if they do, and these reforms that might have prevented such an attack have not been implemented, what will our excuse be?"
Since the Attack on America, taxpayers have spent tens of billions of dollars to secure airports, harbors and cities and to better prepare firefighters and police, CBS News correspondent Bob Orr reports. But, with scores like an "F" for aviation security and an "D" for keeping weapons of mass destruction out of the hands of terrorists, the report isn't encouraging to citizens.
The official commission, tasked with investigating government missteps that led to the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, disbanded after issuing its recommendations in July 2004. It has since been operating with private funds at the 9-11 Public Discourse Project to monitor government progress.
"We agree with their assessment," White House counselor Dan Bartlett said on CBS News' The Early Show on Monday.
He said the Bush administration had acted on some 70 of the commission's recommendations and that others were awaiting congressional action. "It's important that Congress act on those recommendations," he said.
"America is safer but yet not safe," White House spokesman Dan Bartlett added.
White House Homeland Security Advisor Fran Townsend said three years without an attack isn't a shabby record, Orr reports.
"We've gone three and a half years without another terrorist attack," Townsend said. "That's because we work hard at this every single day."
Since the commission's final report in July 2004, the government has enacted the centerpiece proposal to create a national intelligence director. But it has stalled on other ideas, including improving communication among emergency responders and shifting federal terrorism-fighting money so it goes to states based on risk level.
"There are so many competing priorities," said vice chairman Lee Hamilton, a former Democratic congressman from Indiana. We've got three wars going on: one in Afghanistan, one in Iraq and the war against terror. And it's awfully hard to keep people focused on something like this."
One specific failure that affects local responses to disasters small and large is communications. Just like on 9/11, first responders still have trouble getting on the same radio frequencies during emergencies, CBS' Drew Levinson reports.