Lesson From Montana

Five years before the carnage in Colorado and Georgia, there was the schoolyard killing in Butte, Mo.

School Superintendent Kate Stetzner made the 911 call about the little boy with the .22 caliber handgun.

A 10-year-old had come to school one spring morning to shoot another boy who had teased him about his parents, who both had AIDS.

"He said, 'you might be able to fight me with your fists but youÂ'll never fight this.' And then he started shooting," Stetzner recalled.

He took the gun out of his backpack and fired five shots in all, missing the intended victim, but killing 11-year-old Jeremy Bullock, reports CBS News Correspondent Jerry Bowen.

Parents Bill and Robin Bullock know the grief and disbelief that is overwhelming the parents in Littleton and Conyers. The Bullocks have been living with it for five years now.

Bill says, "There's no easy words to describe the pain we know those people are going through."

Mother Robin agrees. "I don't know if you ever become wholly healed. There's always going to be a part of you that will never feel 100 percent joy. Because you re not 100 percent whole."

At the elementary school now, there are signs that say its okay to be sad or different.

Principal Paula Lynch remembers holding a dying boy. "I don't sleep." she says. "IÂ've never slept since then. People bring us their babies and they want us to take care of them - better care than they take care of them and we try our best and we can't."

There are some in Butte who see new soccer fields and the annual march as signs of a community healing. But there are others who know that is not true, people for whom Jeremy's loss is still an open wound.

"There isn't a day that goes by when we don't miss Jeremy, talk about Jeremy, still grieve for Jeremy," Bill Bullock said.

Robin said, "We never in our worst nightmares ever thought this would happen to us. We certainly hope it stops. ItÂ's got to."

There have been six fatal schoolyard attacks since Jeremy died. His killer was placed in a foster home in another town under court supervision and remains the youngest schoolyard shooter in American history.