NEW YORK -- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg took out full-page ads in several major newspapers in the U.S. and the U.K. on Sunday to apologize for the and the reported misuse of personal data from 50 million people.
A Facebook spokesperson told CBS News the ads appeared Sunday in the U.K.'s Sunday Times, Sunday Telegraph, Observer, Mail on Sunday, Sunday Mirror and Sunday Express, along with American newspapers The New York Times, Washington Post and Wall Street Journal, which will run Monday.
"This was a breach of trust, and I'm sorry we didn't do more at the time. We're now taking steps to ensure this doesn't happen again," Zuckerberg writes, adding that the company has already "stopped apps like this from getting so much information."
The social media giant's market cap has dropped about $50 billion since details on the story were first published last week.
In Sunday's advertisement, Zuckerberg said Facebook will reminds users "which apps you've given access to your information so you can shut off the ones you don't want anymore."
The letter concludes by thanking users for "believing" in the Facebook community: "I promise to do better for you."