Watch CBSN Live

Ducks Shoot Down Blackhawks

Teemu Selanne's second unassisted goal of the game 2:51 into overtime gave the Anaheim Mighty Ducks a 4-3 victory over the Chicago Blackhawks on Sunday night.

Chris Chelios tied the score 3-all with 9:14 left in the third period on a slap shot from the middle of the right circle, but Selanne ended a wild game with his NHL-leading 39th goal a 10-foot back-hander behind the stick of goalie Jeff Hackett.

The game featured a missed penalty shot by Chicago's Tony Amonte at the end of the second period, several fistfights and the loss of the Ducks' Paul Kariya, who scored twice before leaving with a mild concussion and a contusion to the jaw.

Guy Herbert had a career and team record 47 saves for the Ducks.

Selanne gave Anaheim a 3-2 lead with 4:02 remaining in the second period. He now has six goals and eight assists during a six-game scoring streak.

After Kariya's 16th and 17th scores on assists from Selanne enabled the Ducks to tie the game twice in the second period, the left wing was forced out of the game.

Just after he put in his second goal on a rebound to tie the game at 2-2, Kariya was knocked to the ice by Chicago's Gary Suter with a stick to the head. No penalty was assessed by referee Dan Marouelli.

Following Selanne's first goal, Amonte, the Blackhawks' leadiong scorer, failed to beat Hebert on a penalty shot with 32 seconds left in the second period.

Hebert stopped Amonte's 10-foot wrist shot with his right pad. Scott Young had tripped Amonte on a breakaway attempt at the Anaheim blueline.

Kariya, playing in just his 22nd game after a holdout, evened things at 1-1 48 seconds into the middle period. That ended Hackett's shutout string against the Ducks at 157 minutes and five seconds dating back to April 1, 1997.

Chicago took a 2-1 lead on newly acquired Reid Simpson's first goal of the season at 2:25. Kariya made it 2-2 just 1:14 later.

Suter gave Chicago a 1-0 lead with a power play goal for his 11th score just 2:02 after the opening faceoff.

The game began with two fights before the match was a minute old. Ethan Moreau of Chicago squared off with the Ducks' David Karpa 21 seconds in while Simpson traded blows with Mark Janssens at the 57-second mark.

A third period brawl led to game misconducts for Chicago's Keith Carney and the Ducks' Ted Drury. A total of 106 penalty minutes were called.

©1998 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue