Live

Watch CBSN Live

Woman burns down Cincinnati, Ohio, home trying to kill bedbugs

CINCINNATI -- Authorities said that three people were injured and 10 people were left homeless after a woman accidentally started a fire while trying to kill bed bugs with rubbing alcohol at a multi-family home in Cincinnati.

WXIX-TV reports it's the second time in two weeks that a fire sparked by attempts to kill bed bugs has caused extensive damage in Cincinnati.

Officials say the fire late Friday heavily damaged a five-unit building and sent three people to a hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation. Their injuries aren't considered life-threatening.

The Red Cross is finding lodging for three teenagers and seven adults. CBS affiliate WKRC reports that the damage is estimated at $250,000.

Eight people were left homeless on Nov. 28 when a 13-year-old boy set fire to an apartment building after dousing a bed bug with alcohol.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.