Watch CBS News

Carbon monoxide leak suspected of killing Washington state college student

Authorities brought in outside experts on Wednesday to find the source of carbon monoxide believed to have killed one student and sickened two others at a college in Washington state.

The experts, from a forensic engineering firm that specializes in carbon monoxide investigations, were at the housing unit at The Evergreen State College in Olympia to conduct the analysis, Washington State Patrol spokesman Chris Loftis said.  

The Evergreen State College student who died was identified by the Thurston County Coroner to CBS News as Jonathan Rodriguez. The autopsy for the 21-year-old from Dupont, Washington, will be conducted on Thursday, the coroner said. 

The investigation will be overseen by Washington State Patrol, the law enforcement agency confirmed to CBS News in a statement. Washington State Patrol Chief John R. Batiste said the agency is "methodically and conscientiously investigating the case and will share what we find with the public as soon as we are able to do so."

A student residence manager called campus police Monday evening to report being unable to contact the students inside a modular home. 

An Evergreen police officer performed emergency CPR after breaking down the door around 8:30 p.m., the college said in a statement. The fire department also responded and conducted carbon monoxide testing. 

The Evergreen officer who broke down the door was hospitalized overnight, according to police Chief David Brunckhurst. 

Two students were also hospitalized. Evergreen spokesperson Farra Layne Hayes said Wednesday that she did not have further information about their conditions or if they had been released.  

Earlier Monday, an alarm company contracted by the college responded to carbon monoxide alarms, Layne Hayes said. She said she did not have details about what that response entailed or whether the alarms came from the same modular housing unit where the student died.

Every residence on campus has a carbon monoxide detector, Layne Hayes said.

"This is a tragedy, and we grieve for our students and families," Evergreen President John Carmichael said in a statement. "The safety of students, staff and faculty remain Evergreen's top priority."

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas produced by the burning of fuels, including gas, wood, propane or charcoal. If not properly ventilated, appliances and engines can cause it to build up to dangerous levels.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.