Here's a look at the week ahead on our "Sunday Morning" Calendar:
Monday is Memorial Day, honoring all who have died in military service to our country.
- Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, Va.
- The origin of Memorial Day ("CBS This Morning")
- ("CBS This Morning," 5/28/18)
- Memorial Day losing its meaning, vets groups and families lament (05/29/17)
"60 Minutes" commentator Andy Rooney offers his thoughts on Memorial Day:
On Tuesday, soul singer Gladys Knight celebrates her 75th birthday.
To watch a 1970 performance by Gladys Knight and the Pips of "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" for wounded soldiers at Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio, Texas, click on the video player below:
Wednesday is opening day in New York for BookExpo, billed as publishing's leading trade event.
- BookExpo 2019, May 29-31 at the Jacob Javits Center, New York City
On Thursday, President Trump addresses the U.S. Air Force Academy graduation ceremony in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
- Graduation 2019, at the United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
- af.mil (Official Air Force Site)
Friday is World No Tobacco Day, raising awareness of the deadly effects of tobacco use.
- World No Tobacco Day (World Health Organization)
- Tobacco Fact Sheet
- World No Tobacco Day (American Cancer Society)
- (CBS News, 5/22/19)
And Saturday marks the official start of Atlantic Hurricane Season, upstaged somewhat by the brief offshore life last week of subtropical storm Andrea, the first named storm of the year.
- (CBS News, 5/23/19)
- National Hurricane Center
Story produced by Julie Kracov.