Apple's Japanese unit has offered to replace its first-generation iPod nano music player in the event of it overheating after reports of fires led to criticism from the government in Tokyo. According to AFP:
Apple confirmed "very rare cases of overheating" in the battery of the iPod nano sold between September 2005 and December 2006, which distorted the shape of the device or made it unuseable, the company said on its website.
It offered to replace affected units, adding that concerned customers using the first-generation iPod nano can now get the battery replaced, it said on its Japanese-language website.
Apple blamed an unnamed battery supplier. It says that other iPod nano models have not experienced similar recharging problems.
So far, Japan's Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry has tallied 27 overheating incidents, "including six fires, which left four people with minor burns," according to AFP.