Watch CBS News

Investigation Turns Up Stockpiles Of Ammunition, Improvised Explosives

SAN BERNARDINO ( — FBI officials led an investigation Thursday to determine the motive behind a shooting massacre that took place during a holiday party at a social services facility in San Bernardino.

During a news conference held at 9:30 a.m., city officials explained significant evidence was seized from a home in the city of Redlands, which is believed to be linked to the shooter's mother.

Just before 11 a.m. on Wednesday, gunfire erupted in a conference room at the Inland Regional Center, located in the 1300 block of South Waterman Avenue, according to the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department.

Syed Rizwan Farook, 28, and his wife, Tashfeen Malik, 27, carried in legally purchased semiautomatic weapons along with handguns and opening fire in the building. The couple were in possession of numerous improvised explosives, including a pipe-bomb device that included a toy car.

San Bernardino Suspect
Syed Farook is pictured here in an undated photograph. The photograph was confirmed to CBSLA by Farook's brother-in-law. (Photo credit: Farhan Khan)

Employees reportedly dropped to the floor and attempted to shield themselves behind desks and chairs until police were able to assist at the scene.

Officials located three explosive devices inside the building.

Fourteen people died and 21 more were wounded. A triage center was set up along the street to assist the wounded.

The Coroner's Office late Thursday identified all deceased victims.

An online fund has been set up for 37-year-old Michael Wetzel Lake Arrowhead, who was a father of six. So far, more than 900 people have pledged financial support. To donate, click here.


At this time, two patients remain listed in critical condition and three others remain listed in fair condition at Loma Linda University Medical Center.

Hospital officials at Arrowhead Regional Medical Center report five patients remain listed as stable.

The conditions of the other 11 victims receiving treatment at St. Bernardine Medical Center remain unknown at this time.

Uninjured workers were shuttled to a church in Colton to meet family members.

According to San Bernardino Police Chief Jarrod Burguan, a tip led officers to a home in Redlands after the deadly shootings. Officers that were watching the residence spotted a vehicle that matched the description nearby.

Officials used an armored-vehicle to break down the back door of the home on Center Street. A robot was then used to check things out inside.

The residence is believed to be linked to Farook's mother and sister.

Police then chased the dark-colored, bullet riddled SUV, which drove back to the area where the original crime scene took place.

An officer-involved shooting subsequently occurred. Farook and Malik were pronounced dead at the scene.

Officials reported the married couple were both dressed in tactical clothing.

During the standoff with the suspects, 23 officers fired a total of 380 rounds at Farook and Malik. The couple fired back a total of 76 rifle rounds at officers on scene.

One officer suffered from a gunshot wound to his left leg and was released from a hospital Thursday.

A deputy was cut on his leg by what is believed to be broken glass or shrapnel.

A third suspect was detained and later released on an unrelated warrant at the scene.

A preliminary investigation determined the bullet-riddled SUV, which has Utah license plates, was rented locally four days before to the shootings.

Farook and Malik had over 1,400 caliber rounds and more than 200 9 mm rounds available to them on their person or within the vehicle.

"We do not have any motive for the shooting at this point," said Burguan. "The only information I have at this point is they came prepared to do what they did and that they were on a mission."

According to a federal law enforcement official, two assault weapons, AR15 style rifles, and two pistols were located inside the SUV.

During a search of the residence on Thursday, authorities seized more 2,000 9 mm rounds, over 2,500 .223-caliber rounds and several hundred long-rifle rounds.

Twelve pipe bomb type devices were located within the garage along with hundreds of tools that are used to construct bombs and other material.

Evidence is being sent to Washington, D.C., to be analyzed, according to the FBI.

FBI Assistant Director David Bowdich told reporters, "I will tell you right now, we do not know if this is a terrorist incident."

President Barack Obama was briefed on the attack by his homeland security adviser and Gov. Jerry Brown was also condemned the killings.

"I give my condolences to those affected by this terrible tragedy," Obama said. "I assure you we are being vigilant in getting the facts on how this occurred. We are fortunate to have an extraordinary amount of law enforcement to keep us safe everyday. We can't rely on them only to protect us. We all have a part to play."

Obama has ordered for all American flags to fly at half-staff to honor the victims of the shootings.

Brown issued the following statement: "Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims' families and everyone affected by the brutal attack. California will spare no effort in bringing these killers to justice."

The Inland Regional Center is a nonprofit agency in a three-story facility, which serves people with developmental disabilities in San Bernardino and Riverside counties.

The agency employes nearly 700 people and serves more than 30,000 residents ranging in age from infants to seniors. Workers there had just celebrated with a holiday party the day before the shooting.

Maybeth Field, president and CEO of the social services center, explained the mass shooting took place while the San Bernardino County Department of Public Health was holding a banquet.

Intelligence sources told CBS News that Farook, who was an American citizen employed as an inspector for the San Bernardino County Environmental Health Department, had traveled to Saudi Arabia to apparently attend the Hajj pilgrimage.

A source also told CBS News that the pair were looking at ISIS propaganda online.

Farook attended the meeting/luncheon at the center but was asked to leave at some point. It remains unclear why. He later returned with his wife when gunshots rang out.

According to police, both shooters came into the U.S. in July 2014. At the time, Farook and Malik were not married. They since wed and had a 6-month-old baby girl while Malik remained on a Visa.


View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.